[ale] Copy-on-write file?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Jan 18 11:03:48 EST 2010

On 1/18/2010 6:37 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Another option is getting that 80GB copy down to 20 minutes.
>
> Is that fast enough?

Yes, that would be fast enough.

> If so, just put the 80GB image on a different physical disk than where
> you want to restore it.  That eliminates all the disks seeks you must
> currently have.

They're on separate physical disks already.  But old ones :-/

> 4GB/min is very doable with a 64bit kernel/cpu and sata drives.

I have a suitable machine, but I'd need to pick up a couple more
SATA drives, which is probably overkill for this task.  The machine
I'm doing the recovery on has only PATA interfaces, and the drives
are only capable of UDMA33.

So far I've been able to get all the most important stuff out of the
image without having to revert to the copy.  I'm now at the "copying
stuff which would merely be a PITA to replace" stage, and if that
fails, oh well.

Thanks,

-- JK

--
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations
it is incapable of solving approaches zero. -- V, Order of the Stick