[ale] datastorageunit.com

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:01:15 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:
> We should, collectively, run an ALE distributed encrypted archive cluster.

That would be cool.

I currently pay dreamhost a monthly fee to maintain a backup of 400GB or so.

The cost is not bad, but I always worry that if I really need to
restore it, it will take weeks to get my data back.  Having it local
(metro Atlanta I assume) so I could somehow get physical access and
download via USB (or better yet, eSata) would be comforting.

I'd be willing to chip in some $s.  (Not too many, dreamhost is only $20/month).

fyi: I encrypt my data before I send it to dreamhost.  I think the
same might apply here.  It is up to the user to encrypt it.  That
eliminates key management from the server side.

My process is to maintain a local rdiff-backup copy at my office.
That archive is on a encfs filesystem.  Then I rsync the underlying
encrypted filesystem to the remote site.

Greg