[ale] Postfix on CentOS 5.4 - How to configure for wildcard domain?

Ryan Fish fishr at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 11 18:47:49 EST 2010

From: Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com>

To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux! <ale at ale.org>
Sent: Mon, January 11, 2010 5:03:38 PM
Subject: Re: [ale] Postfix on CentOS 5.4 - How to configure for wildcard domain?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 16:13, Ryan Fish <fishr at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I need to configure Postfix to accept mail sent to user@*.domain.net and
> place in the mailbox of a local user named elist.  This user will be the
> catchall for *.domain.net.

One (only?) way is to setup virtual domains
(http://www.postfix.org/virtual.5.html) NOTE: you will need a postfix
implementation with PCRE support

in main.cf:
   virtual_alias_maps = pcre:/etc/postfix/virtual.pcre

/etc/postfix/virtual.pcre
        /.*@.*\.domain.tld/           elist

I *think* that will work,  make sure to remove domain.tld from $mydestination

Jim Kinney called me an ass, no less than 6 times today.  I hope you
don't read my text above as that of coming from an ass.

-Jim P.

Jim,

Thank you for the reply.  I didn't end up using your exact suggestion however
I did use the logic and various results of Google searches to somehow get
things to work as needed (I'm honestly not certain how; it just started working).  Messages sent to user at abc.domain.net are
reaching the "elist" mailbox so all appears to be well.

No, I didn't read your text as coming from an ass.

Thank you.
-Ryan