[ale] wireless sanity/security check

Mon Jan 4 07:55:03 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Pat Regan <thehead at patshead.com> wrote:
> I know a lot of people with wide open wifi.  I've yet to see one get
> shut off :)

in 2002 I used to have a wide open network and I set my SSID to my
house number and street name. My intention was to share my wireless
access with my neighbors. I changed my mind one night when my wife
noticed a strange pickup truck parked outside the house. I snuck out
the back and approached it enough to notice he was on a laptop. I went
in and did enough packet sniffing to know that he was pulling down a
torrent. At that point I changed and hid my SSID, and enabled WEP and
MAC filtering. He prompting drove 4 houses down the street and
presumably resumed.

--
.!# RichardBronosky #!.