[ale] Home Data Server Project

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Feb 26 19:33:27 EST 2010

On 2/26/2010 5:05 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> If the server box supports hardware raid, it's pretty easy to setup.
> It's harder to mess with when the system needs a new drive so be liberal
> with the sharpie marker to indicate which drive is on what sata port!
>
> ext4 seems to be working fine for the 3 systems I have Fedora 12 that
> use it (aspire one with flash drive gets ext2 to avoid wearing out
> journal area).
>
> Most file sharing is done using filesystem agnostic tools. Samba for
> winders users (and Mac users) and NFS for *NIX folks (and mac and
> winders people with the right tools). Both protocols can server the same
> files.

I'm actually using just CIFS (Samba) for a mixed-platform site, and
that works well.  I've had setup hassles with NFS in the past, but
Samba and smbclient seem to Just Work.  And smbclient is nice and
scriptable, so I can do things like archive log files to a CIFS
share in a cron job without having to keep the network drive
mounted.

Not that there aren't lots of ways to accomplish that kind of
thing, but my point is that when a client insists on a mostly-
Windows environment, Linux has tools that play nice there.

-- JK

--
We Americans are a freedom-loving people, and nothing says "freedom"
like Getting Away With It. -- Guy Forsyth, "Long Long Time"