[ale] Home Data Server Project

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 19:05:17 EST 2010

If the server box supports hardware raid, it's pretty easy to setup. It's
harder to mess with when the system needs a new drive so be liberal with the
sharpie marker to indicate which drive is on what sata port!

ext4 seems to be working fine for the 3 systems I have Fedora 12 that use it
(aspire one with flash drive gets ext2 to avoid wearing out journal area).

Most file sharing is done using filesystem agnostic tools. Samba for winders
users (and Mac users) and NFS for *NIX folks (and mac and winders people
with the right tools). Both protocols can server the same files.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Darn droid... I hit the wrong button. About raid, I'm not a system admin so
> that's all over my head. We simply want a data server, maybe later on I can
> run a virtual web server since I'm a developer.
>
> I'm not sure about ext4, I thought it wasn't stable yet. My wife is leary
> about needing software to read/write from ext3.
>

> > On Feb 26, 2010 11:30 AM, "Chris Fowler" <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 10:37 -0500, drifter wrote:
> > Temperatures in a well ventilated attic in the s...
>

> > A few years ago I tested a temp sensor we built by placing it in my
> > attic.  I had CAT-5 runni...

James P. Kinney III