[ale] Videos & sound returned-SOLVED was Re: OT: Firefox just keeps reloading GMail

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Feb 24 18:33:22 EST 2010

On Tue February 23 2010, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > I have noscript & adBlock plugins. I can do gmail, but I CAN'T do youtube
> > videos anymore.. either comes back with a DONE link, or just a black
> > screen. not blank, BLACK.
>
> Check that NoScript allows yimg.com and ytimg.com

I tried turning off noscript, adblock, and just about every other plugin I had
for firefox with no success. Then I tried logging in as guest, using gnome &
KDE, no success, then I noticed a MASSIVE slowdown in response. htop revealed
gtk-gnash taking up about 85% of my processing power.
aptitude remove gtk-gnash fixed that, then an aptitude update & aptitude
upgrade did this:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  csound{u} csound-gui{u} csound-utils{u} libcsound64-5.1{u}
  libportmidi0{u}

. Once that was done, and I reloaded firefox & turned on all my plugins, I now
have SOUND & video again in firefox, including youtube.
not sure why I had those packages installed...
Amarok still works..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800