[ale] [OT] good FREE windisease anti-virus software (Thanx!)

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Feb 18 02:21:22 EST 2010

On 02/17/2010 09:41 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
> On 02/17/2010 09:29 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>> >  The kernel is one project that is very meticulous about changes---and
>> >  yet, a year or two ago, several people signed off on a back-door
>> >  granting root privilege without realizing it.  IIRC, it was caught
>> >  (relatively) quickly.  The code was right there---and they even read it.
>> >     It was mistaken for a bug, but if memory serves, it actually was
>> >  intentional.
> A (very) quick google search doesn't turn up any references to this. I'd
> be interested in the story if you can find it.
>
> Back in 2003, someone broke into the CVS (not the bitkeeper) server and
> inserted a backdoor, which was promptly noticed and removed. Maybe
> you're thinking of that?
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/1584

No, the event that I am thinking of was since they moved to git and
since I moved here to metro Atlanta.  I will try to locate it tomorrow;
I can't remember for the life of me right now where I came across it.  I
_think_ it was LWN, though.

In fact, it was somewhere between the time when I started reading RSS
regularly and when I managed to drop it completely and unintentionally.
  I really need to get back into the habit of reading my feeds...

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475