[ale] [OT] good FREE windisease anti-virus software (Thanx!)

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Feb 17 21:41:12 EST 2010

On 02/17/2010 09:29 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> The kernel is one project that is very meticulous about changes---and
> yet, a year or two ago, several people signed off on a back-door
> granting root privilege without realizing it.  IIRC, it was caught
> (relatively) quickly.  The code was right there---and they even read it.
>   It was mistaken for a bug, but if memory serves, it actually was
> intentional.

A (very) quick google search doesn't turn up any references to this. I'd
be interested in the story if you can find it.

Back in 2003, someone broke into the CVS (not the bitkeeper) server and
inserted a backdoor, which was promptly noticed and removed. Maybe
you're thinking of that?

http://kerneltrap.org/node/1584

BTW< does anyone else miss kerneltrap?

--