[ale] unusual global warming experiment

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Feb 13 05:31:28 EST 2010

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Kindergarten and post high-school only.
>

>> (snip)
>> as an outsider (non Georgia resident) I was under the impression that
>> the Georgia Lottery was supposed to fund education.  is this not the case?

To be fair,  when the lottery was first set up the statement was made
that the lottery was NOT to be used to fund existing programs or general
school expenditures.  The reason this rule was made was so the lottery
would be to supplement the educational system not fund it.  In other
states the legislatures were taking money from education, using the
lottery to replace that money and spending the money on less beneficial
purposes such as pork.  (Nothing against pork as long as my taxes don't
fund it.)  Other states have made similar promises, but broken them.

I'm not an insider, but as far as I can tell from afar, they actually
have kept that promise.  As someone said, the HOPE scholarships are paid
from lottery income.  Also the pre-K programs.  But Greg is not complete
in his statement since some of the money goes to technology grants.
(http://www.galottery.com/gen/education/capitalOutlay.jsp)  This program
may be in conflict with the original promise since some of it goes to
the schools for computers, computer facilities, training for school
personnel on technology, etc.  It could be argued that this application
of funds is replacing money that would have been spent from the general
fund.  In my mind, it's unclear, but I applaud the state for spending
money on technology, I just wish more of it went to Linux projects.

Jim.