[ale] unusual global warming experiment

drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Thu Feb 11 15:59:45 EST 2010

Each of us is partially correct.  It was two years ago that petrol
in Merry Olde England was 1.99 (pounds) a liter.  In 2009 it was
running about .99 a liter.  I don't know where your data came from
that the price peaked at about .90 a liter, but I never saw
petrol priced that low while I was there.  The one time I rented a
car petrol ran from .99 to 1.05 a liter, depending on how far I was from
a metropolitan area.
As to exchange rate, there is the published exchange rate that works
only between banks and other LARGE financial institutions and the
exchange rate that actually exists on the street when you show up to
get some cash exchanged -- or use your credit card to do it for you at
the ATM.  That rate last summer was pretty consistently $1.62 for one
Pound Sterling on the street and about $1.75 at the ATM >before<
Wachovia added in its own fees.  We had budgeted based on the lower
figure that was being published in the newspaper day after day.
Oops!

So a gallon (US) of petrol in southeastern England in the summer of 2009
cost about $6.07 (using the $1.62 figure)

What I want is for someone to explain to me why the entire motorsport
industry in the U.K., including the manufacturers, insists on publishing
fuel usage figures in miles per gallon, when petrol is ONLY sold in
liters!

For the record, a US (liquid) gallon is 3.7854 liters
and a                     UK (liquid) gallon is  4.546  liters

Sean