[ale] KDE mis-behavior

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Dec 29 21:36:24 EST 2010

On 12/29/2010 08:54 PM, Drifter wrote:
> This makes sense. It is entirely possible that KDE's "safe mode" does
> not enable the fancier video candy -- none of which I use anyway, so I
> haven't noticed the loss.

I think this is a good bet. "white outlines of boxes for various
applications" sounds very much like the misbehaviour I've seen when
Ubuntu enables compiz on video cards where it isn't supported. Google
suggests that shift + left-alt + f12 will disable composite effects in
kwin, so try logging in to a normal kde session and pressing that.

> It is probably possible to get yum to list all the packages that were
> updated within the past 24 hours, but I'll be damned if I can figure out
> how to do that. The man page is somewhat less than helpful.

The package updates are recorded in /var/log/yum.log. This is configured
under the [main] section in /etc/yum.conf. You can look at the manpage
for yum.conf for more configuration options.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts