[ale] Fw: VirtualBox

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 09:46:23 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:36 AM,  <jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel
>
> ________________________________
> From: Jim Butler <jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:13:34 -0500
> To: <ale at pcartwright.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] VirtualBox
> Actually, going to bridged mode was my next step, but I just wanted to
> resolve this..
> Anyway, to go to bridge mode, will probably require manually editing the
> configs or a script. I say this because I am using virtualbox-ose_version1.6
> and it doen't have bridging as an option in the gui.
>
> While we're on the subject of VirtualBox, maybe someone can resolve a
> licensing question: I went to Oracles's website to download VirtualBox V3.2
> and while there I checked in to the licensing. According to documents, there
> is no licensing fee to use version 3.2, but if you want support you have to
> pay and it's expensive.. I'm cool with that.. But then when I installed
> version 3.2 (on my other machine, not the one that I'm having the NATting
> issue with), it said it's a personal evaluation, limited, etc... So can
> someone give me the real story on VirtualBox, how many VMs I can deploy, and
> how much I'll have to pay if I want something of Production-Level quality??
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Butler
>

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/14/2010 06:36 PM, Jim Butler wrote:
>> > Hi Everyone..
>> > I am trying to virtualize some servers, and I decided to use VirtualBox
>> > to do it instead of VMWare. My problem is this: I got everything all set
>> > up the way I wanted it, and installed three different virtual machines.
>> > Everything was working fine until this morning when I went to use the
>> > networking. Networking is set to NAT, and it worked fine before. Now,
>> > all of my virtual machines still work fine, but when I try to ping the
>> > host IP from the virtual machine, it is unable to reach the ip on the
>> > host. On the icon bar at the bottom of the virtual machine window, it
>> > shows network activity, and everything looks normal from within the
>> > virtual machine it's self. Furthermore, I can ping outside of my host
>> > box from within a host shell.. (that is, on the host (not the virtual
>> > machine) if I try to ping yahoo.com <http://yahoo.com> it works fine)..
>> > It's just a problem either with the way that the virtual machine is
>> > sending the packets, or with the way that the host machine recieves (or
>> > doesn't recieve) the NATted packets.
>> > If someone can help me with this, I would sure be appreciative.
>>

>> I read a thread somewhere recently that said to change your networking
>> default in Vbox to bridged mode.. that way all your other boxes see the
>> Vbox server like it was on your local LAN...
>>
>> --
>> Paul Cartwright
>> Registered Linux user # 367800
>> Registered Ubuntu User #12459

If you are going to use it for servers, get V 3.2, it a lot better
than the OSE, there are a few more bells with it. As far as
networking, use bridge, with the V3.2 all you have to do select which
device you want to use for your bridge, Virtual Box does the reset.

Support, use you are doing something so rare, you can get most of your
support from the net.

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.