[ale] ReplicatorG On a Stick!

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 07:19:55 EST 2010

Heh!  You can run ReplicatorG on a stick!

I've been experimenting with 3d printing lately.  The software which
controls Cyndi, my "cupcake" CNC machine, requires very up-to-date
versions of python and java.  The developers test it solely on Ubuntu
Maverick Meerkat ( 10.10), the very latest 'n' greatest.  But I have
found that it will run just fine on Puppy Linux 5.11, which is based
on Lucid Lynx ( Ubuntu's LTS version 10.4) .  This lets you run the
software without installing or updating anything -- just boot your USB
media and start printin'!

I've contributed a write-up (
http://wiki.makerbot.com/run-repg-from-a-stick ).  The next step is
obviously to make a Puppy 3d printing sub-distro.  That might make a
fun ALE talk.

-- CHS