[ale] Value SSDs - price/perf

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Dec 8 22:24:28 EST 2010

On 12/08/2010 04:35 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> What's a good choice for a value SSD for a laptop upgrade?
>
> ===
> With Christmas coming up, I was thinking a SSD for my laptop would be
> a good present from my wife!
>
> But looking at the $100 items, I'm not as impressed as I expected to be.

I think you need to look at the $100 to $150 range. There is some really
good stuff [0] just above $100. For example, the 40GB OCZ Vertex 2 [1]
for $106. (Max Read: up to 280 MB/s, Max Write: up to 270 MB/s,
Sustained Write: up to 200 MB/s, Random Write 4k (Aligned): 45,000 IOPS)

I've found that anandtech [2] is the best source of SSD information.
Performance depends strongly on what controller the drive uses and what
firmware it runs. It can be hard to keep track of, but they do a good
job of doing it.

[0]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%204017&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

[1]