[ale] MS-SQL as slave/backup to MySQL

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Aug 24 10:32:15 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 06:33 -0400, Mike Harrison wrote:
> I really need to rewrite the whole application to use a database
> abstraction layer, but the thing I love about MySQL is it is -fast-
> and -solid- when you use the native connections from PHP and Perl.
> To have server and SQL daemon uptimes greater than a year is just
> incredible. :)

You haven't run a production database on PostgreSQL, I take it.  ;-)

Pg is _amazing_.  After having worked a few projects using it, I can
absolutely never look back at MySQL.  If you want to know how it feels,
try this:  Read the documentation for SQLite, and then try to write a
production application with it.  You'll find that domains are lacking
and so are features, in comparison with MySQL.  It is the same comparing
PostgreSQL to MySQL:  PostgreSQL is so much closer to the standard, and
it natively supports storing everything from UUIDs to IPv4 and IPv6
addresses and CIDR information.  It's a wonderful thing to be able to
have, because you get so much more type safety---it's never a good day
when you have to marshall majority of your data into (and out of) a
string format and do validation in your PHP code.  Let compiled C code
handle that!

	--- Mike