[ale] MS-SQL as slave/backup to MySQL

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Aug 24 06:33:06 EDT 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Jim Kinney wrote:

> give 'em an hourly data dump and a script to do the import and don't let
> them touch the real systems. Show them the gui tools for MySQL and then
> laugh. Any DBA worth their paycheck can be function in MySQL in a week using
> a book like SQL in a Nutshell combined with the main docs for MySQL (which
> are very good!).

I have a script like this for an install where I feed and pull from an
Oracle install.. using the big fat Oracle Java-ish "instant client"...
Runs every 15 minutes with updates each way only (and a --sync mode that
takes over an hour, the Oracle system needs to be spoon fed for odd
reasons beyond my control)

I really need to rewrite the whole application to use a database
abstraction layer, but the thing I love about MySQL is it is -fast- and
-solid- when you use the native connections from PHP and Perl.
To have server and SQL daemon uptimes greater than a year is just
incredible. :)

With Oracle holding the keys to MySQL, this makes more
and more sense. Anyone got a time machine?