[ale] Losing Ubuntu

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Mon Aug 16 09:24:41 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 01:29 -0400, Joshua wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers.  I will probably stick with Debian Lenny
> (stable) for now. I need this machine for college courses and I don't
> want to have to spend precious study time fixing things that break or
> stop working with Debian Sid.
>
> I might eventually experiment with sid once I get another computer and
> more experience with linux.  I am not currently prepared to deal with
> whatever fallout comes along from using Debian unstable.
>
> I do really like Debian with LXDE.  My system actually functions at a
> speed I can tolerate.  I would like to know what the display (monitor)
> manager is with KDE though.  Reason being that when I am running KDE I
> can get my LVDS and VGA0 to work as a twin view desktop and not just clone.
>
> Gnome is unable to let me do that with out fussing over xorg.conf or
> Xrandr, which I don't want to deal with.  With KDE it just works on the
> fly.  Someone suggested that KDE might edit xorg.conf or something like
> that, but I have not seen it be permanent.
>
> Anyway, for whatever reason, LXDE uses Gnome behind Openbox it seems.
> This leaves me wondering how I can get the KDE display functionality, at
> least long enough to setup xorg.conf or Xrandr.
>
> Does that make sense?  I may have to learn how to add KDE, remove Gnome,
> rework openbox to point to KDE for its settings and move on from there.
> Not sure if that is what I want to do though.
>
> Any thoughts?

A few, none of them helpful:  xorg.conf is pretty much auto-magically
configured now-a-days.  If you pull out or re-name xorg.conf, your X
will probably start.  KDE would just config xorg.conf on the fly and not
write a file.  You can use xorg.conf to add functionality but the hard
coded stuff is mostly not needed any more.  You can add synaptics touch
pad parameters for example (Two finger scroll on a touch pad, circular
scrolling, etc).

As for adding KDE, aptitude install kde-desktop IIRC will install kde.
You can have gnome and kde.  Look at xfce4 and openbox (flux, blackbox,
as well).  If you do that, aptitude will ask you what display manager
you want, gdm or kdm.  I always picked gdm (the devil I know), but it
will not matter which you pick, as all the WM will be there for your
choosing at log in.

IF this box is "mission critical", then yes, stay with Lenny.  That is
what stable is for.  Wait a month or three, a new stable will be
released as testing is in a freeze now.  Make sure your sources point to
"lenny" and NOT to stable or you will wake up one day to find massive
changes when you do an aptitude update.  The change from one stable to
another should be a planned change, not a surprise, you need to check
the readme and known issues in case you actually need to use the box and
something breaks.

Subscribe to the debian-users mailing list to find out how to get dual
monitors set up.  What is your video card?   That makes a big difference
on HOW you get there.