[ale] Losing Ubuntu

Joshua jrtroberts at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 01:29:22 EDT 2010

Thanks for the pointers.  I will probably stick with Debian Lenny
(stable) for now. I need this machine for college courses and I don't
want to have to spend precious study time fixing things that break or
stop working with Debian Sid.

I might eventually experiment with sid once I get another computer and
more experience with linux.  I am not currently prepared to deal with
whatever fallout comes along from using Debian unstable.

I do really like Debian with LXDE.  My system actually functions at a
speed I can tolerate.  I would like to know what the display (monitor)
manager is with KDE though.  Reason being that when I am running KDE I
can get my LVDS and VGA0 to work as a twin view desktop and not just clone.

Gnome is unable to let me do that with out fussing over xorg.conf or
Xrandr, which I don't want to deal with.  With KDE it just works on the
fly.  Someone suggested that KDE might edit xorg.conf or something like
that, but I have not seen it be permanent.

Anyway, for whatever reason, LXDE uses Gnome behind Openbox it seems.
This leaves me wondering how I can get the KDE display functionality, at
least long enough to setup xorg.conf or Xrandr.

Does that make sense?  I may have to learn how to add KDE, remove Gnome,
rework openbox to point to KDE for its settings and move on from there.
Not sure if that is what I want to do though.

Any thoughts?