[ale] Losing Ubuntu

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 17:57:28 EDT 2010

Yes, you should. Let's say your user is "auser". Then, on a system
like Debian, he is also a member of the group "auser". So when you do
`usermod -G newgroup auser` then "auser" is no longer a member of the
"auser" group and simply a member of the "newgroup" group. Also on a
system like Debian, a typical user is a member of several groups (e.g.
"optical", "sound", etc.). So not using the "-a" parameter can really
screw up a user.

I've been bitten by it more than once.

--
James Sumners