[ale] Losing Ubuntu

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sun Aug 15 17:06:46 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 15:29 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> Make that `usermod -aG wheel $USERNAME`
>
> [1] -- http://linux.die.net/man/8/usermod
>
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon at damtek.com> wrote:
> > usermod -G $USERNAME wheel will add a user to the group wheel
> > (substitute the username for $USERNAME) when run as root.

-a NOT required unless $USER is a member of a group not listed, then
he/she will then be removed from said group unless -a is used.

"-G, --groups GROUP1[,GROUP2,...[,GROUPN]]]
        A list of supplementary groups which the user is also a member
        of. Each group is separated from the next by a comma, with no
        intervening whitespace. The groups are subject to the same
        restrictions as the group given with the -g option. If the user
        is currently a member of a group which is not listed, the user
        will be removed from the group. This behaviour can be changed
        via -a option, which appends user to the current supplementary
        group list."

Man can be fun to read, I never used -a, but perhaps I should.

--
Damon
damon at damtek.com