[ale] enterprise rhel/centos management

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 11:43:20 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Scott McBrien <smcbrien at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > With a handful, RHN isn't bad, but when you get more than 25/50 it starts
> to get unwieldy.  Plus when you have more you generally have a more complex
> setup and requirements on what machines need which packages and updates.
>  With 100 boxes, you probably want RHN Satellite Server.  There's a promo
> right now for satellite server called "Satellite Starter Pack" which is 1
> year of satellite + 1 year of 50 RHEL Server entitlements for $5K.  If
> you're interested in more info, or want to talk more about satellite, hit me
> up off list.
> >
> > One of the drawbacks of satellite is that it doesn't manage CentOS
> clients, which Spacewalk does.  However Spacewalk requires you to provide
> your own Oracle license ( which satellite includes) and Spacewalk is the
> upstream to Satellite in the same way that Fedora is the upstream to RHEL.
>  That leaves maybe doing your own custom repo, which doesn't cost you
> anything, but doesn't offer all the management stuff of Satellite.
>

> You can use Oracle Express (FREE) and the new version of Spacewalk
> uses Postgresql.

Version 1.0 release notes:

Known issues ¶<https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/ReleaseNotes1.0#Knownissues>

   - Provider GPG key is not sometimes recognized and packages shows up as
   unknown Provider.
   - PostgreSQL support still does not work. We will need help with moving
   this forward.
   - Documentation search does not work, other search are unaffected.

> > -Scott
> >
> > On Aug 11, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Joey Rutledge <joey at joeyrutledge.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> A co-worker and I are currently in the process of trying to determine
> the best method to manage a handful of RHEL 5 based systems.  We are looking
> at deploying over time at least 100 or more RHEL systems and are trying to
> determine the best method to manage security updates,  package versions,
> entitlements, etc.
> >>
> >> So far we have come up with the following
> >>
> >> RHN
> >> Redhat Satellite
> >> Spacewalk
> >> in-house yum repository
> >>
> >> For those using RHEL/CentOS in a corporate environment, what are you
> using to keep up with the systems?  I'm looking for ideas and opinions
> around the choices above and open to any other means of management that you
> might be using currently.
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >> Joey Rutledge

> Discover it! Enjoy it! Share it! openSUSE Linux.
> openSUSE -- en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
> openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
> skype,twiiter,identica,friendfeed -- terrorpup
> freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
>
> Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
> to package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE
> Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.