[ale] Thunderbird won't display email

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Aug 2 10:27:19 EDT 2010

On Mon August 2 2010, Scott Castaline wrote:
> so, what messages are you missing? what kind of account? mbox folder?
> maildir folder? IMAP main folder?
>

> Everything. I am able to list the messages and scroll through each folder,
> but when I select a message the message view pane is blank. It doesn't even
> show header info or option buttons. It doesn't matter on the age of the
> message, I can go back to 2007 and select a message from there and get the
> same results. As far as folder types, it involves all, local, and imap. I
> even tried archiving all my ale messages from 2007 which took about 1 hour
> Sat. evening, and today still no joy. Is it possible 1 bad message could be
> causing this. It was fine the night before this started, I did allow
> several updates before shutting down, but the updates shouldn't have had
> any impact on Thunderbird I don't think. Although I usually reboot and
> start up at least FF, Thunderbird, GnuCash, & OOo Calc, to verify that all
> is well, I didn't this time though, so I'm beginning to think that maybe
> the updates did break something even though they shouldn't have had
> anything to do with Thunderbird I don't think.

everywhere I look, the answer is the same:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090424072851AAeVUrN
Your email index file might be corrupted. Do a search for inbox.msf. Be sure
to search for non indexed files. Delete it. When you restart Thunderbird it
will recreate it. It is only an index and not the actual email.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800