[ale] ubuntu versus fedora

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 09:57:50 EDT 2010

At the last ALE meeting I heard a bit of good natured banter about
ubuntu versus fedora (or debian based versus red hat based).

Since I run both fedora and ubuntu (fedora on my laptop, ubuntu on my
desktop), and do not consider myself primarily a sysadmin (I'm more of
a programmer) I've often thought of cataloguing the problems with
various linux distributions.  My primary problems with the two
distributions can be summed up simply.  Fedora is much more likely to
screw around with my network settings (I don't know or care whether
the fact that I'm running it on a Dell Inspiron laptop is relevant).
Ubuntu has a nasty habit of dropping my audio on youtube.  Rebooting
cures the problem.

For purposes of OS ideological comparison neither have happened to me
on a Windows system, although I consider Microsoft environments to be
oppressive and untenable in terms of actually getting my work done.

If y'all want more details on the specific versions I'm running, or
hardware info, I'll be glad to oblige.

Larry