[ale] Backup frequency question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 17:31:28 EDT 2010

Drbd is below file locking. It replaces the rsync process entirely. The
samba server is set to master, a spare is set to slave, a second spare is
setup offsite as slave. Writes are nearly concurrant. Reads are only from
the master. Offsite will be slow but most md practice software is write
seldom/read often. If samba dies, heartbeat can make spare become samba
master. This does require compiling a kernel module. Über kewl tech!

Can also be done with GFS and moosefs. GFS is in stock RHEL kernels. DRBD is
an add on. Slated for general use in RHEL 6.