[ale] New laptop

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Wed Sep 30 23:26:28 EDT 2009

> I guess the question is, do I want to pay an extra 500 bucks to get to
> play with OS X and buy commercial software?

I really liked the screen quality of the higher end Mac's,
and after messing a lot with Asus Top's, had gotten used
to the chicklet style keyboard on the Mac's.

After about an hour of playing with a Mac and a
Sony. I bought the 18.4" (1920x1080 display)Sony, a friend's bought a
(approx) 15" Sony. Incredible Screen. Matte finish, bright, crisp...
and I've become a "chicklet" keyboard fan, it feels fast
and crisp.

Everything works on out of the box on Ubuntu 9.04 except:

The headphone jack does not turn off the speakers when you plug them in.

Suspend mode works, hibernate does not.

At the Ubuntu testing at ALF, 9.10 fixed the sound issue,
and the Cananonical guy said he we pretty sure hibernate
would be working be launch for that series.

So far, it's become my favorite laptop ever..
mine is huge (18.4") but I don't find myself putting
off things until I can work dual-screen,
and it was half the price of a similiar Mac.