[ale] Starting ftpd-ssl in Ubuntu-8.04

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Thu Sep 24 10:18:06 EDT 2009

Do you have an inetd service running on your box?  If not, then that
is the general area of the problem.  Though I'd be rather surprised if
Ubuntu 8.04 uses inetd, as the xinetd service has been the default in
most Linux flavors for a while.

If you are running inetd, then it is responsible for monitoring the
port, and initiating the service when a network connection is made to
the ftp port.

Check that the port is enabled with something like this:

netstat  -a  |  grep  ftp

If that command turns up empty, then inetd is *not* listening on the
ftp port.  If you are running inetd then you may just need to get it
to re-read its config file.  On the other hand if your system uses
xinetd then you may need to create a different config file for
ftpd-ssl to work.

--
Björn Gustafsson