[ale] Starting ftpd-ssl in Ubuntu-8.04

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Sep 24 09:58:19 EDT 2009

ALErs -

I believe I installed 'ftpd-ssl' in Ubuntu-8.04 with 'apt-get' but I am
able to make neither a local nor an external FTP connection to my server.

Two questions:

1. How do I confirm that I have the correct package installed and that its
dependencies are met? One web source described 'ftpd-ssl' as a "virtual
package" which seemed to imply it is an set of required packages, but I
don't know how this affects its installation.

2. How to I enable and start the service? I looked at '/etc/inetd.conf'
and it only lists services, not their startup parameters. Similarly I
didn't find a specific '/etc/init.d' entry to [start|stop|restart] for
'inetd'. Rebooting the box didn't start the service. '/etc/inetd.conf' is
one line:

  "ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.ftpd -z
cert=/etc/ftpd-ssl/ftpd.pem -z key=/etc/ftpd-ssl/ftpd.pem"

The setup is a fresh installation of the Ubuntu-8.04 'server' for i386,
plus my shot at 'ftpd-ssl'.

Thanks.

  - Mills