[ale] For any one looking for a job

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 17:15:52 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 17:06, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at zest.trausch.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 17:02 -0400, Pete Hardie wrote:
>> Generally, so that you don't send your resume directly to the company
>> and bypass the headhunter.  They get
>> their money by being middlemen, and not the cool ones in the
>> Eisenhower jackets......
>
> Yeah.  I guess it goes to show how dishonorable people really are.  The
> applicant has no incentive to take food off of the recruiter's plate,
> and while the $CLIENT does, you'd think that one or the other would have
> some sense of honor.
>
> I suppose that means that an honorable company using headhunters would
> not take applicants directly at all, and freely announce their name.
>
> Otherwise, it still feels to me a bit like I'm jumping into an unknown
> which could very well be a frying pan that I'd like to avoid altogether.
> It's silly to me to make a commitment only to learn something that would
> have prevented me from making the commitment in the first place.

True.

OTOH, I've been burned by recruiters that were interested in me only
as fodder.  I was
sent on an interview for a managerial position that I was told was a
developer position by the recruiter,
and when I mentioned this in the follow-up, I got told I "should have
sold myself better", to which
I replied "You should not have sold me as a manager when I told you I
wanted a devloper position"
Needless to say, I stopped using that recruiter.

>        --- Mike
>
> --
> Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
> Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/
>
> “The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
> high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
> our mark.” —Michelangelo

Pete Hardie
--------
Better Living Through Bitmaps