[ale] Semi-ReSolved: OT: x86 Solaris-10 installed but not bootable

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 22 12:35:07 EDT 2009

Mike, ALErs -

Thanks for the note. So far my experiment played out like yours.

After continuing headaches getting Solaris-10 to format one of the SCSI
disks correctly and persistent failures of the installer to create a
usable boot, I tried Ubuntu-8.04(LTS) Server. Dropped in "like grass
through a goose." (No steeenkiing GUI on _this_ box! 8-)

My objectives were:
  1. Bring old 1U server (and its two 9.1 GBy SCSI drives) back from the
trash bin: accomplished at $35 expense for 2 GB RAM and some "magic words"
(&*^%$#%#@!!!).
  2. Install and learn to run Solaris-10 a bit: failed, but I may revisit
this.
  3. Think of some services for the box to offer to justify (1) and (2):
Pending, but on ubuntu-server instead of Solaris-10.

My problems could have come from several sources: bad hardware; bad
discovery and/or handling of hardware by Solaris; unfortunate system
configuration; and (most certainly!) cockpit errors, ignorance, and
confusion.

Cheers and thanks again.

  - Mills