[ale] 9.10 smart errors

adam prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:49:52 EDT 2009

J. D. wrote:
> I did some digging on the smart errors and the bug reports seemed to
> indicate that there are bad sectors on my hitachi hdd. Not sure yet if
> this is a software or hardware issue.
>

> On 10/29/09, Jon Reagan <jreagan90 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good to hear someone else had the same issue come up with the disc
>> checker... I was kinda worried there for a bit. ;)
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM, J. D. <jdonline at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> just finished the upgrade a few minutes ago. It notified me there are bad
>>> sectors out the wazoo on sda. :( Neat feature though.
>>> J. D.

It's plaimpsest, the new disk utility for 9.10. It'll read SMART data
off your drive and report it to you.

So far, palimpsest has reported all my SMART errors to me correctly.

The problem I have is the SMART implementation for my WD hard drives.
I've had a 250GB drive for over 2 years now, and it started reporting
imminent failure about 3 months after I got it. It has yet to fail.

At least for me, the problem is SMART...plaimpsest just chooses to
remind me of that. If you bring of detailed info on a failure, there's a
checky box to not report SMART info for that particular HDD.

Adam