[ale] Disk IO Question

mmillard1 at comcast.net mmillard1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 29 16:49:51 EDT 2009

I have a Suse OES server running on an  IBM 346with 2 gig of RAM.   I've installed two Addonics Multilane SATA cards connect with Multilane cables to external SATA enclosures housing 4 WD Caviar Green 1.5 TB Drives.

I have about 1.8 TB of Data on one Enclosure which changes daily.  My plan was to copy the 1.8 TB to the second enclosure daily and send the drives in that unit off site.

My expectation was that by having 4 independant SATA paths per unit  would give me  substatial performance when moving data between these units.

I'm seeing a constant speed of about 60 gig per hour.  This is much slower than I expected.  Have any of you done anything like this? Is this the kind of performance I should expect?  Hopefull some of you bright people can share some wisdom with me.