[ale] seeking backup with versioning

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Oct 28 15:54:47 EDT 2009

On 10/28/2009 02:44 PM, PairOfTwins wrote:

> In searching ale.org, I see ext4 in discussions of versioning.  I've
> been asked (finally) to replace a Win2K server, which houses the
> database for 7 Windoze workstations.  Since the office manager just lost
> 6 weeks of Outlook emails when the pst file was corrupted AND the copy
> done by nightly backup was also corrupted ---- keeping prior versions is
> a basic requirement.
>
> eBox uses rdiff-backup
> ClearOS I can't determine
> FreeNAS I can't determine
> Ubuntu Server uses BackupPC or Bacula
>
> As an Ubuntu user, I'm most comfortable with deb distros.  Anyone have a
> suggestion of a server distro with suitable backup built in, or shall I
> use Ubuntu server?

For pst files or access database files, rdiff-backup sounds perfect. You
don't want to make a second 100MB copy of the file when 1MB changes. It
looks like there are various frontends to make configuring your backups
easier [0] and that you can even run it on the office manager's Windows
computer and have it back up his or her outlook files to the linux server.

[0] http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/related.html
[1] http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/FAQ.html#windows

--
All the best,