[ale] measuring bandwidth

Brandon Checketts brandon at brandonchecketts.com
Tue Oct 27 20:11:11 EDT 2009

I believe the ifconfig counters are 32-bit, so they reset after about
4GB of traffic.  You would have to read them occasionally, and note that
when one reading is lower than the previous reading, you need to make up
the difference in your reading.

As others have noted, MRTG, Cacti, and most monitoring applications
should have this built in.

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts