[ale] Telnet or SSH? (Was: Re: anonymize google searches and tor for android)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:36:34 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at zest.trausch.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 16:09 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 15:40, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at zest.trausch.us> wrote:
>> > Oh and here's what's even funnier:  One *exactly* one network I know,
>> > there is no SSH, open access to all X11 displays, and all that jazz,
>> > right?  But they require the use of "sudo".
>>
>> That's actually not a too uncommon setup for lots of private networks
>> (think: deep inner circles of places most ppl never see).  ;-)
>
> True enough, but it also means that there is no accountability for
> anything.  Sniffing a password is so trivial on networks like that, it's
> not funny; anyone with a brain can fake just about anything on a network
> like that.  You'd think those sorts of things would be updated in large
> corporate-type environments.

One _would_ think that until one has had to sit in meetings where the
only thing said from the ones who "approve" things is "how much will
that cost?"

IT is often treated like a hand tool. Purchase once, use it until it
breaks or is lost or stolen. Hammers don't get upgrades on a per item
basis so why spend resources upgrading IT that does actually work.

Short sighted? Absolutely.

Common practice? Most certainly. The only practice more common is CYA
pertaining to who denied the upgrade that led to the failure event.

>        --- Mike
>
> --
> Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
> Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/
>
> “The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
> high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
> our mark.” —Michelangelo

James P. Kinney III