[ale] lxc and Ubuntu Karmic

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Tue Oct 27 12:12:34 EDT 2009

I'm running out of ideas and am not even sure what to try next.

The situation is this:  I have an Ubuntu Karmic server that houses LXC
containers.  Most of the containers are running Ubuntu Hardy within
them, and performing various tasks just fine.  However, one of my
containers requires some of the things from Karmic, which is also the
container that runs my web sites and the like.

Now, that container won't startup anymore, after having been updated.
Note:  This would be the _one_ time I forgot to do an "lvcreate -s"
before doing something that could cause breakage, and whaddya know, it
done broke.

Anyway, it *seems* that the problem is with the /sbin/init process
(Upstart) in the container, but I have no definitive way to figure that
out.  Running strace seems to let me get information on the /sbin/init
process, but ltrace won't (if I use ltrace in combination with
lxc-start, all I get is an /sbin/init in the T state that I cannot seem
to wake up, even sending it SIGCONT).

What I am wondering is if anyone knows if there is some sort of special
means to use to debug containers.  Currently I'm reading through the
source code of upstart and trying to figure out what's going wrong, but
I have the feeling that this is taking the long way around.  Of course,
I'm only doing that because I cannot seem to find a shorter way.

Any ideas?  Anything obvious that I am apparently missing?

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo