[ale] re-compiling an older source package....

rs at ale.spam.futz.org rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Mon Oct 26 16:24:14 EDT 2009

>On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 13:15, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
>> I think the easiest thing is to use the I flag of the preprocessor and
>> the L flag of the linker. Thus something like
>>
>> CPPFLAGS="-I /opt/include" LDFLAGS="-L /opt/lib" ./configure
>>

>What I'm looking to do is to add that to one of the plethora of config
>file options... Makefile.in, Makefile.am, config.in.h, aclocal.h
>etc.... <- The big question is which file, and what format :-)

Generally Makfile.in will have something like

  LDFLAGS=@LDFLAGS@

and configure, which is generated from configure.in or configure.ac buy
running autoconf, does the substitution when creating Makefile.

so you want to modify configure.(in|ac) to check for the necessary
includes/libs in your custom path, and fall back to the original defaults if
the custom stuff isn't there.

--
Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.