[ale] Ubuntu Linux ROCKS! (The Saga of Miss W)

wylde bill durtybill at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 01:24:06 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 01:03 -0400, aaron wrote:
> Ubuntu Linux ROCKS!
> Period. End of story.

I'll second that motion.  I've installed k/ubuntu on my dad's machines
(he's 70=something years old, and is still slightly confused between RAM
and hard-disk space), my sister's machines, and my dad has given away
kubuntu CD's I've given him to his friends in Nicaragua- and one told
him he now had it running on every computer he had.  The only reason my
dad runs any windows machines at all it to plug his magic jack into the
acer netbook he uses for it.

You just install it, and everything works.  Period.

Just about any windows install still involves either hunting around for
driver CD's or hunting around the net for drivers if you can't find the
CD's and you're lucky enough that the Micro$loth product was able to
detect and install a working driver for your network card or (shudder)
modem.

I still use Slackware on my server/firewall machines, but any desktop
system I install nowadays is loaded with k/ubuntu (unless some silly
hardware manufacturer still doesn't provide linux drivers and won't
release an API so open-source drivers can be created in a timely
fashion).

I'll probably still have to create a windows 7 box, just so I can do my
freelance IT thing- since I'm sure a bunch of silly assholes with more
money than sense are going to have mass installs of it to deal with and
throw even more money at when I have to fix their stuff.  I should
really be happy they do.  Because I usually don't have to mess with a
linux install once or twice a year- and sometimes go years without a
call (my personal slackware web server has been up 6-7 years, barring
power outages, without any work done except a distro upgrade every few
years- or I decide to add/remove/change services on it).  But windows,
ah...  that's a gold mine... LOL...

--
Would you want CONGRESS directing the LINUX collective?