[ale] Uruguay beats us. Laptop for every child

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Sat Oct 17 10:04:01 EDT 2009

Running Sugar.

'"We have a lady who's been teaching for 30 years and when they gave us
the computers and the training, she asked for leave because she didn't
want to have anything to do with the programme. Later she changed her
mind and now computers have changed the way she teaches."'

'The laptops have an open source Linux operating system with a user
interface called Sugar. It has attracted some criticism from detractors
for not being mainstream.

'However Mr Brechner believes that children should learn computer skills
regardless of the software available. Blind children were being taught
on a Microsoft Windows operating system, he said. '

Exactly what Daniel Howard and I saw when we introduced K12LTSP at
Brandon Elementary.

wf