[ale] zipit, dang man

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 15:19:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> Does this thing have audio input an output.  I'm thinking of fldigi!

It has a speaker (you can imagine the quality) and a headphone jack for
playback.  There is a port on the back with many lines, and the company has
a dev site that indicates that some of the lines there are MIC_IN, as well
as USB BUS DATA.

Developer site:
http://linux.zipitwireless.com/wiki

Reportedly some have tried using Skype or Gizmo5 on it, with less than
stellar results (well, 32Mb memory and a low power processor), but it has
worked.

Since it was designed originally as a messaging device, Pidgin and finch
have been made to work on the device, replicating the original functionality
while adding more IM protocols.

I'm poking at the thing slowly, but having a Debian system on the mini-SD
should make it easier for me now, whenever I find some time.

Brian