[ale] If you must restore a windows computer, how do you make it better?

Anthony Atkinson supergeek117 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 22:33:19 EDT 2009

Hey, i run into this situation alot.

I get someone whose windows is damaged and they adamantly say they
want windows only and nothing else.

So, I setup a windows partition, and a linux partition with swap and
when i am done i go into kgrubeditor and flip flop the boot entries so
that windows has to be chosen. This at least gives them the option of
trying linux on there on time when they feel comfortable.

i then at least show them two things on linux before i give them there
computer back, i show them how to get online and i show them how to
save documents with open office that will at least open in windows word.

About a week later, they will eventually call me and say "I want linux
only" on my computer because they found out that it is easier using
linux for there daily computer usage.

This process always works for the people that are leery of anything
outside of windows.

My next customer here in dallas stated to me that they would also like
to do linux, but they need to be able to use internet explorer (IE)
because they run software that only works with IE. This person is a
real estate agent and i am familiar with what they are talking about.
The MLS software.

Just my 2 cents,

SuperGeeK