[ale] iptables rules

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sat Oct 10 11:14:26 EDT 2009

I was on my wifes laptop, surfing the internet, and I tried ( and failed) to
ssh to our Debian desktop. Then I remembered my IPtables script I run. SO I
ran the script, and was then able to ssh into my desktop. The problem is ( I
think) now I cannot surf the internet, though the connection is up. Would
this script have anything to do with it?::

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport 80 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport 22 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -N ssh-connection
/sbin/iptables -A ssh-connection -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m
recent --update --seconds 600 --hitcount 4 --rttl --name SSH -j
LOG --log-prefix "SSH_brute_force "
/sbin/iptables -A ssh-connection -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m
recent --update --seconds 600 --hitcount 4 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP
/sbin/iptables -A ssh-connection -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m
recent --set --name SSH -j ACCEPT

Nothing else changed, so if this isn't what is wrong, I am clueless. If it IS
the culprit, what did I do wrong, and what can I do to fix it?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800