[ale] installing Ubuntu on a Windows system

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Oct 7 14:33:58 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 14:08 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I am _almost_ positive that Ubuntu can shrink the winders partition to
> make room for itself.

I know it can.

I did this last week on a laptop running XP and NTFS.  After I installed
Ubuntu I booted into Windows to make sure all was okay.  It did a chkdsk
and then everything was fine.

When you run partitioner you'll select the manual radio button in the
GUI.  Before you click next look at the graph at the bottom of the GUI
showing your partitions.  To the right will be a gray bar.  It is not
clear but that gray bar is drag-able.  Simply drag it left to reduce the
size of the NTFS partition.