[ale] My resume

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 15:49:59 EDT 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:

> When I'm hiring, I appreciate short concise resumes. If a resume is 3
> pages or more I will only skim it. I'm sure I have missed a lot of
> info from skimming.

I can appreciate the sentiment, but those of us in the business for 20
years will have a darned tough time meeting that need.  Omission ==
falsehood.  If you put your responsibilities and one or two "key
contribution" bullet points and try to keep an easy to read type size,
you can easily exceed 3 pages... ESPECIALLY if you've been a
contractor...moreso if you've contracted for your own company.  Sure,
there are ways of shortening that, but I'm just sayin'.  The days of
working just a couple of places at most during your career are long
gone...  I read a statistic that in the average professional career, a
person will hold 14 positions, changing position an average of every
2-2 1/2 years.

I could understand skimming the "skills block" most of us put there to
fool the recruiter-bots into picking us up off of one of the boards.
However, thoroughly reviewing the last 3 jobs, college or technical
education, and seeing if there are any glaring gaps in occupation
continuance without a spot of college/tech school to explain that gap
(like incarceration or something) is paramount.

> Just like I'd rather get on IRC than deal with
> most mailing lists, I'd rather get interested in an engineer from
> their resume and speak with them to find out what they know. I hope
> the people reviewing my resume feel the same.

I can agree with you there.  The resume just tells me "this person is
interesting...  I'd like to chat with him/her".  The "gold" is in the
conversation.

--jms