[ale] Ubuntu Linux ROCKS! (The Saga of Miss W)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 07:34:59 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 01:03, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
>> the gist of
>> this saga is that today I delivered the gift of a
>> "new" computer...
> [snip]
>> The generosity on my part wasn't as large as might
>> be implied above, since the donation was just a
>> fairly old computer...
>
> Sooo.... Ubuntu works on old equipment.  That's old news.   It should
> work better, out of the box, with new hardware (which is what college
> kids are more likely to try it on).

That would be nice but as long as hardware makers treat the Linux
realm as a leper colony, it won't. Most of the chipset engineering i
the kernel is _still_ done by reverse engineering and hackery instead
of reading a spec sheet and codeing for it.

Yet we still have better systems that the trash that Redmond spews out
even though the hardware was known in advance.

So the Linux users will still be buying one step back from the newest
hardware release for a while longer. It's the "most bang for the buck"
manner anyway.

> -Jim P.

James P. Kinney III