[ale] AT&T, own mail server, alternatives

Grady Harris nolan.voight at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:03:31 EDT 2009

It's the Slashdot story on FastMail.fm from yesterday that has me
thinking more about it--I pretty much just use a web interface for
mail these days, & AT&T ticked me off as badly as they did many when
they switched their webmail over to Yahoo a while back--I already have
a couple of Yahoo mail accounts & this just muddies things.

I rent server space, but I'd rather not run a mail server on it--I
don't feel sufficiently competent in security to keep it properly
locked down.

For low-volume mail accounts, personal & having to do with the web
sites I run, is there any advantage to running my own mail server,
over hosting that with a third party, such as FastMail.fm? If not, any
suggestions for alternatives beyond that one?