[ale] LAMP Books

Thu Oct 1 10:58:42 EDT 2009

Which of Linux Apache MySQL and PHP are you most concerned about?
1. I think the http://php.net/manual/en site is the greatest thing
I've ever seen. I would never recommend a PHP book to anyone.
2. I am a MySQL DBA and much to my dismay no one seems to write SQL
queries anymore. They always abstract it away with a frame work. This
leaves me with the task of auditing their apps and fixing things to
handle real world traffic.
3. Apache is very much the same as PHP. The online docs are great.
But, your value as an administrator is really the sum of the crap you
have dealt with divided by open parenthesis your retention level minus
your creativity close parenthesis. (I didn't start that sentence
intending to give mathematical expression, but the word "sum"
triggered it and I don't feel like changing it.)
4. Linux is a... well... the Apache expression also applies, but I
think that books are useful here. Ultimately there is no replacement
for hands on learning with an old computer or a slicehost account.

So, back to the question: Which parts of the stack are you most
concerned about? Of the books out there I think each could be
described as "Covers blah blah really well, but blah blah not so
much."

.!# RichardBronosky #!.