[ale] Trying to use ATI Radeon On-Board Video

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 19:28:11 EST 2009

Hey Folks,

How can I configure my x server via the terminal? Here's some background.

My PCI Express card (nVidia GeForce 8600 GT) died last week so I've resorted
to using the on-board video port. My motherboard is a Biostar TA690G AM2 5.x
and their site says that it's an ATI Radeon 1200 series port. Ironically; I
can load into my Windows partitions (Windows Vista: Home Premium) fine...
and I can even play video games (Battlefield 2, Star Wars Galaxies, etc). My
main concern, though, is the Linux partition. I can't seem to setup the
right xorg.conf configuration. To be honest, I'm not that great in
configuring x via the terminal. I've tried "Xorg -configure" as suggested by
the Xorg site, but that doesn't work. I tried replacing the old "nv" entry
with "ati", but that didn't work.

The result is the monitor is very pixelated and I can't navigate or really
see where I am. I can see my mouse, but it's pretty much useless. Once I
"startx" the x server, I can't Alt+Ctrl+Backspace back into the terminal. I
have to do a reboot into runlevel 3 and try again. Thanks for any help.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-series/introduction.php?S_ID=17

--
Marc Ferguson

www.fergytech.com
www.digitalalias.net

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"