[ale] Encrypted filesystem on netbook

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:11:41 EST 2009

It's always fun to create a crap-ton of files like:

adb382mdl
dkw9d874lbm

and have literally random garbage in them and random sizes. Now
encrypt each one seperately. Use a series of passphrases  so there are
many keys to crack. A fun way to generate these is from a hash of the
unencrypted random garbage file itself. script it out to a USB key
along with the "keys". When you change your _real_ files, also with
horrid names, use the script to also randomly decrypt/encrypt many
other files as well in that same directory to muddle the timestamps.
Keep the USB locked with a STRONG password and an encrypted partition
with the tools to and keys to unencrypt.

how to make a hay stack become a hay field....

The bit I don't have is how to set up the USB so a brute force attempt
will cause a secure wipe. Ideally this would use GPG internally to
signal a buried wipe binary or a buried random bit flip rewriter.

It's not foolproof but it provides time.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Andrew Grieser wrote:
>> For LUKS, what's the feasibility of mounting that from another system?
>> Also, is there any real difference between encrypted home directory
>> and "Private" directory (in terms of security) ?
>>
>> The performance issue on a netbook is why I was interested in
>> encrypting only the things that need to be encrypted, rather than the
>> entire drive.
>
> The bigger the haystack, the harder it is to find the needle. ;)
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

James P. Kinney III