[ale] Awful story...

scott scott at sboss.net
Mon Nov 16 11:21:42 EST 2009

I understand you.  I don't disagree.

BUT in large companies the generally tend to lock machines/configs
down to their supported models.  We all know that one size fits all.
BUT that company is trying to make everything equal to all.  Why?
Probably due to HR and/or legal reasons.

I am a geek (no big surprise to anyone that has met me).  Why can't I
run Linux on my desktop if I don't require any assistance from tech
support?  Well then everyone else in my classification would be able
to do it also no matter if they have the knowledge or not.  HR/law
doesn't care about if you have the skills to run Linux on your desktop
or not.  Does everyone in your classification ( and remember those are
pretty broad) that works there now or potentially works there have the
skills?  If that is not a 100% yes then they are going to shut you
down and make you run the corporate installed image (whatever that
maybe).

Now I was lucky a few years back by working for a consulting company
that would give you a laptop with corporate image on it.  If you
wanted to blow it away and load your install on it, you couldbut you
had to provide all software (no pirated software).  Which was nice
since we could load Linux for those of us that did un*x admin work.

Scott

Sent from my mobile...